January 30, 2009

Quilted Things

I love to make quilts, and most of the sewing I have done in the last several years has been quilts. But I used to make "things". When I was very young my Mom taught me how to sew, and I made lots of doll clothes for my beloved Skipper. Remember her? Then for many years I made clothes for myself. I made tree ornaments, pillows and wall hangings. I did needlepoint and counted cross stitch. I made decoupage purses and even a wooden table. Now that I have my Statler Stitcher, I started thinking about what else I could make.


After a bit of experimenting, I figured out how to make these bags! They are just the right size for shopping at the grocery store, and they can be tossed into the washer and dryer.

My prototype bag was made from muslin, and I decided I liked the look! Add some variegated thread and a nice design, and guess what all of my relatives and friends got for Christmas? ;-)

There are thousands of possible quilting designs including geometrics, florals, feathers, holidays, animals, and novelty designs. And there are many beautiful colors of variegated threads too. The possibilities are unlimited!

My next idea is to make a quilted jacket. A few years ago I bought a beautiful jacket from Orvis, it is reversible, quilted, and a very simple design. I am thinking about using it as a pattern. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG i looooove those bags!!!! I just finished a purse myself yesterday!

Sue said...

Thanks! I didn't expect anyone to read my post so quickly, I wasn't even finished editing it ;-) I'm a perfectionist and it is really hard to get the pictures and the text to line up just right. The doorbell rang and it was my friends bringing quilts for me to quilt, and then we all went out for lunch, and of course to the quilt shop, they are having a sale :-)) Yes, I bought more fabric!!!

Betty's Blocks said...

Your bags look wonderful, can you post dimensions? I would love to try and make some.

Sue said...

The bags are approximately 15" high, 10" wide, and 7" deep, basically the size of a brown paper grocery bag. Now if they could only make grocery shopping more fun ;-)

Anonymous said...

Guess what I was a lucky recipient and I love my bag!

Betty's Blocks said...

Thank you so much for the measurements. I have left questions before on blogs and never got answers. It is much appreciated. Betty

Sue said...

You're welcome! My secret is to moderate the comments, that way I get an email letting me know when someone leaves one. That is also why they don't show up on my blog right away ;-)